Another winner from Gia Russa!
- 2 medium eggplants
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Gia Russa ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Gia Russa Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tsp. Gia Russa chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup Gia Russa Artichoke Bruschetta
- 1 jar Gia Russa Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400º.
Cut the 2 ends off the eggplants. Cut the eggplants lengthwise, into 1/4-inch thick slices and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for about 10 to 15 minutes; pat dry with paper towels. Season the eggplant with more salt and pepper. Arrange on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover tightly with foil and bake until eggplant is tender and pliable but not fully cooked, about
8 to 10 minutes; pat dry.
Meanwhile, mix together egg, ricotta, Romano cheese, spinach, garlic and artichoke bruschetta. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of cheese mixture onto each slice of eggplant.
Roll up slices and arrange them seam-side-down in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with 1/3 of the jar of sauce. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Be sure to tune in every Tuesday and Thursday at 6am and Wednesday at noon for Great Groceries on 21 WFMJ.