Summer has practically arrived! And that means one thing in the grocery world—your favorite fruits are in-season again! And what’s a more quintessential summer fruit than the strawberry? They’re sweet, juicy and contain many vitamins and minerals that contribute to a healthy and balanced diet! Check out some of these strawberry fun facts to share with family and friends at your next barbeque!
- 94% of US households consume strawberries.
- Americans eat 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries each year.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Strawberries are grown in every state in the US and every province of Canada.
- Strawberries are members of the rose family.
- Strawberries are low fat and low calorie; high in vitamin C, fiber, folic acid and potassium.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- In a test, subjects who ate nitrate rich foods, like strawberries, before exercising, burned 100 more calories than those who did not.
- In medieval times, strawberries were served at important functions to bring peace and prosperity.
- There is a museum in Belgium dedicated just to strawberries.
During the summertime, strawberries can be eaten at any meal—with your yogurt at breakfast, a side dish at lunch, on your salad at dinner or dipped in chocolate for dessert! It’s safe to say that you and your family will be consuming a lot of strawberries within the next few months. Enjoy them while you can, and stop at your local Sparkle Market for fresh summer strawberries!!