Oatmeal. It’s a breakfast staple. Known for it’s multiple health benefits (i.e. weight control, lower cholesterol, reduce risk of heart disease, etc.), oatmeal is recommended as a nutritional start to your day. However, many people just add the average milk, brown sugar and raisins to make it “less boring.” But there are a ton of varieties out there that instantly intensify the flavor and make your breakfast more fun!
- Whether it’s your favorite kids’ cereal or corn flakes, crush a handful of your favorite dry breakfast cereal onto your oatmeal.
- After your oatmeal has cooked, add a packet of sugar-free cocoa mix and stir. Put back in the microwave for another 10-15 seconds, so the chocolate can “fuse” into the oats.
- Add a dollop of yogurt. Whether it’s Greek or regular, flavored yogurts add a sweeter taste and a smooth and creamy texture. While you’re at it, add fresh fruit like a chopped up banana, strawberries or blueberries.
- Add a spoonful of natural peanut butter and then a handful of dried cherries to cooked oatmeal. Put back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, and then let stand for a few minutes for the cherries to plump up.
- Stir in a few teaspoons of your favorite jam or fruit preserves for a fruitier hot cereal.
- Add a tablespoon or two of your favorite granola to add a crunch to your mushy oatmeal.
- Who says oatmeal is strictly breakfast food? Add a single tablespoon of ice cream, and your mouth will love the combination of warm and cold. Think: oatmeal à la mode.
Try these different combinations, and you will never be bored with breakfast again. Find out more about the health benefits of oatmeal, and check out different ways to make this hot cereal exciting!